Football Australia imposed lifetime bans on Melbourne Victory supporters

December 21, 2022

Football Australia has imposed a life ban on two Melbourne Victory supporters who participated in the AAMI Park pitch invasion that injured Melbourne City goalkeeper Thomas Glover.


A-League Men’s Derby was postponed due to violence on Saturday night.


Glover allegedly was struck by a bucket held by a pitch invader, resulting in a concussion and facial laceration. Also hurt in the incident was referee Alex King.


Two security guards and a television cameraman were hurt after being hit by flares.


According to the FA, a 23-year-old man entered “the field of play without authorization… with intent to cause damage or harm” on Tuesday.


The FA determined that a 19-year-old man had entered “the field of play without authorization” and engaged “in conduct that did or was likely to cause harm to or endanger others.”. The bans on both men were indefinite.


The chief executive of Football Australia, James Johnson, stated that “the actions of these two, and others who concern us, are completely unacceptable and those people and their manners will never be welcome in our game.”. There would be other bans, he said.


“Football has a zero-tolerance policy for disruptive, destructive, violent, and antisocial behavior at its sanctioned events. It will not tolerate behavior that could endanger spectators, players, and officials’ safety, protection, or security.


“These substantial sanctions against these people are consistent with this view. Football Australia is working around the clock on this investigation to prevent scenes like those at Melbourne’s AAMI Park from happening again. “.


The two are prohibited from attending any games that Football Australia sponsors, including A-League, Australia Cup, NPL, Socceroos, and Matildas games. They can be no longer able to sign up as football participants either.


Three men have been accused and charged by Victoria police in connection with the large-scale pitch invasion on Saturday.


They face charges for violent disorder, discharging a missile, intent to cause injury, recklessly causing damage, unlawful assault, entry into a place of a sporting event, interfering with a game, public nuisance, and riotous behavior, among other offenses.


Tuesday saw the identification of five more men by Victoria police, leaving five more people still at large.


Melbourne Victory has until Wednesday morning to convince FA of their lack of merit for “serious sanctions for bringing the game into disrepute.”.


FA has made it crystal clear that it will impose severe penalties. Several options include fining Victory, taking away points, and making them play in secret.


The sport’s governing body must also decide the score from Saturday’s derby. Before the game’s termination, City had a 1-0 lead.


Due to the closeness of Victory’s upcoming match, which will take place on Boxing Day away at Western United at AAMI Park, the FA may issue temporary sanctions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.